In July 2017 Berkeley Homes submitted a planning application for the demolition and redevelopment of the site to deliver a mixed use scheme of up to 1,050 residential homes, up to 5,500 sqm of commercial floorspace, a new public linear park and public realm improvements.
The scheme has since evolved through close consultation with Southwark Council, the GLA, TfL and the local community, as well as other stakeholders. The design process has resulted in a scheme that provides exemplary business and retail accommodation, high quality residential homes, and a significant enhancement to the appearance and character of the site.
Since July 2017 Berkeley Homes has made a number of improvements to the scheme. These can be summarised as follows:
1. An increase in the number of new homes from up to 1,050 to up to 1,300;
2. On-site affordable housing has been increased from 20% to 35%;
3. The amount of employment floorspace has increased from 5,500sqm to 7,000sqm creating a 400% increase in jobs on site;
4. Introduction of 4,500sqm of dedicated light industrial work space;
5. Enhancement of the architecture, landscaping and public open space to provide a haven away from the Old Kent Road.